Home Decor II, Acrylic on canvas, 34x36in, 2020
Interview by Keith Waits
Entire contents are copyright © 2020 by Keith Waits. All rights reserved.
Carlos Gamez de Francisco was born in Holguin, Cuba and attended the Raul Gomez Garcia Fine Arts School and the Jose Marti Fine Arts School in Holguin before coming to the United States in 2010 for a residency with The Muhammad Ali Center. Since then he has exhibited in Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Missouri, Spain, and New York while also studying at the Art Institute of Chicago. His work is in numerous private collections.
- When the galleries closed you had just opened “Personality Plus” at KORE Gallery. Can people still see his exhibit?
To any interested patrons, the gallery and I would love to have you see the exhibition by appointment. Please call or email Kore Gallery. (502) 333-4355 | email@example.com
- What will we see in this work that is different from previous work?
In every series, there is a theme. The acrylic portraits are more contemporary. Most of my previous work, I reference from the 17-18th century. The figures in these paintings are wearing casual clothing in today’s time.
- Are you exhibiting anywhere else right now?
Yes, I have a solo exhibition at New Editions Gallery in Lexington, KY. The solo exhibition is “Haute Couture”. It’s going to be displayed until the end of April.
- Do you have a job besides being an artist?
I have been working as a full-time artist since 2010. I loved it ever since.
- When did you first know you wanted to be an artist?
Since I was 5 years old. I was in the kitchen with my dad. I recently did an interview with Kate Savage at RadioLex where I shared the story.
- You made your reputation as a painter, and you have worked recently with photography. Is there another medium you are dying to try?
I am always inspired by new mediums and techniques. Currently, I am working with digital paintings, which is very new to me.
- Besides Kore Gallery in Louisville, in what other cities and galleries are is your work represented?
-Lexington, KY (New Editions Gallery)
-Cincinnati, OH (Miller Gallery)
-Kansas City, MO (Weinberger Fine Art)
-Larchmont, NY (Kenise Barnes Fine Art)
- What, if anything, is different about working in Louisville?
I just love the feeling of “home” here. Everyone I’ve met in the arts is only minutes away. So that’s nice.
- What music have you been listening to?
I love to listen to any kind of music. I like pop, Latin, and jazz music.
- What book is on your bedside table?
“How to Talk to Anyone: 92 Little Tricks for Big Success in a Relationship” by Leil Lowndes.
Keith Waits is a native of Louisville who works at Louisville Visual Art during the days, including being the host of LVA’s Artebella On The Radio on WXOX 97.1 FM / ARTxFM.com, but spends most of his evenings indulging his taste for theatre, music and visual arts. His work has appeared in LEO Weekly, Pure Uncut Candy, TheatreLouisville, and Louisville Mojo. He is now Managing Editor for Arts-Louisville.com.
2020 Arts-Louisville/Broadway World Theatre Award Sponsorship provided by